Learn about the engineering design process by building and testing your own model boat. Participants will use modern technologies, such as computer-aided-design and laser cutting, and explore the methods that Nathanael Herreshoff used to design and build over 2000 boats, including five America’s Cup winning yachts, at the turn of the 20th century.
This workshop is offered in conjunction with Lighter, Stronger, Faster: The Herreshoff Legacy, opening October 2018.
Science and Engineering Practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering).
- Developing and using models.
- Planning and carrying out investigations.
- Analyzing and interpreting data.
- Using mathematics and computational thinking.
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering).
- Engaging in argument from evidence.
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information.
Next Generation Science Standards
Supported by We Are Alexander