Adult Programs Producer (Temporary)
The Adult Programs Producer is a critical member of a small team that produces the Museum’s educational and public programs. In collaboration with other members of the museum’s staff, MIT faculty, staff, and students, and Cambridge community members and organizations, the Adult Programs Producer is responsible for conceptualizing and coordinating the delivery of a diverse portfolio of innovative programs for the museum’s adult audiences. This position will support the museum’s strategic vision of creating inclusive programs that 1) cultivate public conversations at the intersection of science, technology, and society; 2) provide unique experiences at the collision of art and science; and 3) provide a broad array of informal gathering and learning opportunities for adults. The successful candidate for this position will be an innovative thinker with excellent organization and planning skills with a passion for adult programs and desire to connect members of the public with the scientific, artistic, and technological innovation that makes MIT and the broader Cambridge community a unique space.
This is a temporary position through October 31, 2022, with the possibility of extension.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
The MIT Museum’s Adult Programs Producer will:
- Strategically build relationships between the Museum and the extensive MIT community and members of the Cambridge community increase the breadth of adult programming.
- Create a diverse portfolio of public engagement opportunities for the MIT community and the broader Cambridge community that encourages adult participation in Museum programs.
- Coordinate and provide on-site management of all aspects of evening programs including logistical and event details and communication with other members of the museum team involved in the program delivery.
- Work closely with the Director of Engagement, Producer for Festivals and Events, Manager of Visitor Experience, and the museum’s Marketing and Communications Officer to deliver a clear channel of communication including the program scheduling and creation of materials needed for program and event promotion. Strategize and help build a wider adult audience for the Museum’s public programs.
- Work with Museum staff, faculty, alumni/ae, students, and volunteers on the content development and delivery of programs.
- Conduct regular evaluation of public programs and reassess evaluation tools as needed.
- Other duties as needed or required.
The Adult Programs Producer will report directly to the Director of Engagement & Cambridge Science Festival.
The Adult Programs Producer will supervise volunteers, and occasional temporary and student employees, school year and summer interns.
Qualifications & Skills
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree and a comfort with scientific and technological literacy.
- Minimum of two years of experience in producing programs and events in one or more of the following areas: informal education, performing arts production, adult and continuing education, festival production or other related work.
- Proven experience managing multiple independent projects simultaneously.
- Must show a considerable degree of creativity and initiative, be detail-oriented and have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- As a representative of the Museum, must be able to communicate effectively with MIT faculty, staff and students, as well as visitors and community organizations.
- Excellent written, oral, and research skills are essential.
- Frequent evening and occasional weekend work is expected.
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Familiarity with audience evaluation techniques is an advantage. Bilingual facility helpful.
- Please note: this position might be of interest to a person with experience in adult and/or continuing education.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.