Reporting to the MITM Financial Officer, the Financial Assistant processes all MITM earned income (from Store, Admissions, Programs, etc. currently $1.65 million annually); assists with oversight of the Museum’s Merchant Services accounts; and serves as the central point person for documentation and approval of all purchases by Museum P-card holders. The Financial Assistant also provides administrative support to the Financial Officer on managing capital budgets, and circulates budget variance reports to MITM Budget managers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Merchandise payment: Approve purchases made with Store inventory credit card; file invoices in vendor files.
- Income processing: Verify cash deposits made by Museum staff and adjust entries as necessary if discrepancies are reported by the Cashier’s Office; prepare weekly Cashier’s report (JV upload); verify credit card deposits for all revenue processed through Admissions Desk; verify merchandise payments made via credit card; create check requisition for merchandise payments made by check.
- Statement reconciliation: Reconcile statement for inventory purchasing card to SAP; confirm revenue from credit cards is deposited into SAP.
- UPS: Reconcile bill and authorize payment; research vendor identification as necessary to process payments.
- Month-end: Prepare monthly sales tax report to submit to VPF; prepare monthly and YTD operating statements.
- Fiscal year-end closing: Perform all tasks associated with closing the Store operating account including accruals and accrual reversals; create final fiscal year operating statement.
- Make bi-weekly deposits of cash received.
- Replenish change bank and set up additional one(s) for busy periods.
- Order new equipment for transaction processing as needed (e.g. credit card machines, pin pads).
- Follow up with Merchant Services and/or Cybersource for income due.
- Track incoming funds from partner vendors (e.g. Go Boston).
- Ensures and receives documentation of, and approves, all P-card purchases by Museum staff.
- Assists with oversight of the Museum’s Merchant Services accounts, annually verifying account “owners” and their contact information, and that they are up-to-date on PCI Compliance; and liaises with Merchant Services to resolve any issues with GPN and/or Cybersource.
- Other duties as needed or required, including those at a lower level.
Reports to and meets regularly with the Financial Officer. Also meets weekly with Store Manager.
Qualifications & Skills
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of two years of financial or accounting experience.
- Excellent communication, organizational, analytical and time management skills.
- Attention to detail and excellent follow-through.
- Strong accounting skills.
- Must demonstrate sound judgment and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Excel)
- Familiarity with retail as well as university accounting and purchasing systems
- Experience with MIT’s financial software (SAP)
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
This is a 40 hours/week position. To apply visit the MIT Human Resources Site.