Event Rentals Manager
The MIT Museum Event Rentals program provides earned income to support core operations. Event Rentals previously averaged 70 bookings annually, with a client base that was 70% MIT-affiliated, and 30% external. In the new MIT Museum located in Kendall Square, we are looking to significantly increase the non-MIT client base and the number of events each year.
The Event Rentals Account Manager is responsible for marketing and securing event bookings in the Museum to achieve the annual revenue goal, relationship management of clients and vendors, and administrative management of all bookings. The Event Rentals Account Manager works closely with the Event Rentals Site Coordinator, who is on site for each event to receive vendors, supervise set up and clean up, and assist with any needs related to the museum facility.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
The Event Rentals Manager will:
- Promote Event Rentals within MIT and externally.
- Develop annual marketing plan and implement, coordinating the schedule with Museum PR and marketing efforts, mail and email outreach.
- Correspond and maintain contact with past clients to further develop bookings; identify opportunities to increase sales; respond to inquiries from prospective clients and secure new clients through several means including cold-calling, expo fairs, and sales meetings with prospects.
- Responsible for client relationship management and ensuring personalized and exemplary customer service.
- Responsible for exceeding the minimum annual revenue goal of $250,000 for FY23, with bonuses provided for increased net revenue.
- Maintain HubSpot database tracking all clients and contact information, booking dates and locations, status of contract completion and internal forms for MIT events, and payment.
- Create and generate contracts for each client and ensure that they are completed in a timely manner.
- Invoice and track payments.
- Follow up with clients for post-event evaluation.
- Attend weekly scheduling meeting to review details of event bookings with the Event Rentals Site Coordinator and the Visitor Experience managers.
- Communicate regularly and in detail with Event Rentals Site Coordinator about client needs and event timeline to ensure that all logistical arrangements are in place; and with other Museum staff to maintain awareness of near- and long-term schedules for public programs, exhibitions, and other activities
- Review and renew annually the list of preferred caterers; conduct annual orientation for new and returning caterers and their staff. On a monthly basis, communicate with caterers about new business opportunities, and conduct follow-up on events they have serviced.
- The Event Rentals Account Manager will perform other duties as needed or required.
The Event Rentals Account Manager reports to and meets regularly with the Museum’s Deputy Director, who provides direction regarding Event Rentals in relation to Museum core operations and programmatic activities.
The Event Rentals Account Manager will be part of the team providing customer and retail services to the Museum’s constituency, and will work in close coordination with the Museum’s Event Rental Site Coordinator and other staff.
Qualifications & Skills
- At least 2 years of event sales/management experience.
- Must be self-motivated, highly organized, detail and customer oriented, and have excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Requires ease in working with a range of clients, diplomacy and adaptability, excellent time management skills, demonstrated ability to multi-task and to work collaboratively.
- Must have facility in online calendaring/scheduling/database systems and MS Office.
- Ability to work flexible schedule to accommodate potential clients and may occasionally be required to assist in client management for evening events.
- Requires discretion and judgment in dealing with confidential information and/or issues.