Manager of Exhibitions
The Manager of Exhibitions will assume a hands-on position with responsibility for the project management and supervision of processes needed for the successful fabrication, installation, operational planning, and maintenance of exhibits.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Will participate in a robust exhibit development process with the teams responsible for developing interactive experiences, art handling, and the display of collections.
- Collaborate with the director of galleries and exhibitions and project managers leading the conceptual development of exhibitions.
- Be directly responsible for supporting the fabrication and installation of new museum exhibits and for maintaining the installed exhibitions for a successful visitor experience.
- Act as the lead liaison with Facilities on gallery infrastructure maintenance issues.
- Hire contracted work crews; and train and manage temporary full- and part-time employees and interns for exhibition operations and maintenance.
- Responsibilities include planning all aspects of exhibition installations and managing the allocated resources.
- Synthesizing information and contributing to documenting complex exhibition processes.
- Maintaining existing galleries (including Hart and Compton Galleries), exhibitions, and museum public areas.
- Leading gallery preparation, construction, installation, and de-installation.
- Managing and maintaining all exhibit facilities, workshops, matting and framing shop, equipment, and storage areas.
- Providing "museum quality" matting and framing for exhibitions and loans.
- Maintaining existing gallery lighting.
- Meeting project budgets and schedules.
Qualifications & Skills
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least three years experience in exhibition fabrication, installation, maintenance, and management and including managing budgets and supervising staff.
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Seek an experienced craftsperson accustomed to a deadline-driven environment.
- Must be able to maintain a flexible schedule to support exhibit installations and operations.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in a museum environment, and knowledge of CAD drafting.