Thank you for your interest in working at the MIT Museum. The Museum is part of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; the Human Resources web site is an excellent resource for learning more about working at MIT.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
- Senior Web Developer/Creative Technologist
Senior Web Developer/ Creative Technologist
The Senior Web Developer/Creative Technologist supports the Director of Technology & Digital Strategy in developing and maintaining the Museum's content Infrastructure used to drive visitor-facing digital experiences on-site and online. This role will collaborate with all departments at the Museum to implement a vision of remixable content delivery through Museum-wide APIs and middleware. This position represents a unique opportunity to build a robust platform on which to build the next generation of digital experiences as the MIT Museum is preparing to reopen in a new location.
As the Museum relaunches its website, the Senior Web Developer will collaborate closely with an external web development firm to develop the Museum's website. After launch, this role will assume primary responsibility for maintaining, extending, and experimenting with the Museum's online expression.
Additionally, the role will help develop interactive experiences visitors might encounter while visiting the Museum in Cambridge.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Extend and maintain the Museum's digital content infrastructure to increase the Museum's reach, impact, and stewardship of our digital collections and museum-wide digital assets. This work includes developing digital pipelines among the Museum Content Management System, Digital Asset Management System, and Collections API.
- Support Digital Archivist & Collections Information Systems Manager through development and maintenance of systems for digitization workflow.
- Contribute to the development of in-house media & digital signage delivery system.
- Maintain and extend the technical backend and features for Museum websites.
- Collaborate with staff from the MIT Libraries and Archives, researchers, and students to promote the Museum as a Digital Humanities resource for the MIT campus.
- Serve on project teams to develop new exhibitions, education and public programs, collections initiatives, projects and courses taught in the Museum Studio and Compton Gallery, and visitor/customer service enhancements, to advise and apply technology and information systems expertise, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervision & Team:
The Senior Web Developer / Creative Technologist reports to the Director of Technology & Digital Strategy, collaborates with all departments at Museum, and serves as technical liaison for collaboration with external vendors and consultants.
Qualifications & Skills:
- 5 years of significant website development, support, and maintenance experience, with a strong background in large-scale, database-driven web application development
- BS or BA Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems or a related discipline
- Experience developing applications using headless, API-driven Content Management Systems (ex. Contentful, CraftCMS)
- Experience creating and documenting APIs to be used/consumed by others
- Experience with designing and maintaining production-grade architectures on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Ability to work independently with supervision by the Director of Technology & Digital Strategy, and with collaboration among multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong ability to communicate and create project documentation
- Successful candidates will be willing to innovate, demonstrate curiosity, and seek to learn about new topics and techniques
To apply, visit the MIT Human Resources site.