Skip to content
photograph of boat entering shipyardphotograph of boat entering shipyard

McInnis-Lawley Collection

Ships plans and material from the George Lawley & Son yacht- and shipyard.

Three generations of the Lawley family built fine yachts and working vessels at their yard in Neponset, Massachusetts from the 1860s to the 1940s. The youngest, Fred Lawley, studied naval architecture at MIT in the late 1890s. The family shipyard, which operated as George Lawley & Son for much of its history, was one of the primary producers of yachts designed by independent naval architects in New England, in addition to building Lawley designs. The yard built both wood and steel vessels, including dozens of World War II landing craft, before closing in 1946.

When the Lawley yard closed, Walter J. McInnis collected many of the yard’s extant plans and models, and donated these to MIT in 1965. The collection contains records of both yacht and commercial designs. The Lawley family recently donated photographs and archival material documenting family and shipyard business.

Title: McInnis-Lawley Collecion

Creator: George Lawley & Son Corporation

Dates: 1894 - 1940

Extent: 11 drawers plans and 1 linear foot mixed archives and photos

Language: English

Repository: MIT Museum, Hart Nautical Collections

Access: Open for research by appointment. Access to unprocessed material may be limited.

Copyright: No known restrictions

Credit: Hart Nautical Collection, MIT Museum