Museum Store Assistant (Temporary)
The MIT Museum is seeking temporary staff to assist with our bustling Museum Store. This is a temporary appointment at $18/hour to pick up shifts on weekends, busy days, and to cover staff vacations. If desired, this position may also pick up evening shifts for rental clients in our Events department.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Retrieve, count, price, and store incoming merchandise shipments.
- Assist with the organization and maintenance of two stockrooms.
- Replenish store stock levels throughout the day; straighten displays.
- Ring up museum store purchases.
- Assist customers in the store: answer questions, share product knowledge, make recommendations.
8 hours daily, 2-4 days per week. One weekend day is required.
Qualifications & Skills
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent education.
- Excellent communication skills, enjoyment of working with the public.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently with minimal supervision.
- High energy and the ability to work in an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, regularly and repeatedly lift up to 50 lbs., operate a pallet jack, climb ladders, bend, crouch, and kneel, and move quickly about a crowded store and two stockrooms.
- Good design sense and an understanding of basic merchandising principles.
- Basic computer skills.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in specialty retail, hospitality, or museums and attractions.
- Experience with Counterpoint POS or equivalent.
To apply, email cover letter and resume to MIT Museum Store Manager David Duddy at email@example.com.