Museum Store Assistant (Temporary)
The MIT Museum is seeking part-time employees to assist with the daily operation of our bustling Museum Store. This is a term appointment with possible renewal, offered at $20 per hour.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Retrieve, count, price, and store incoming merchandise shipments.
- Assist with the organization and maintenance of two stockrooms.
- Replenish store stock levels throughout the day; straighten displays.
- Ring up museum store purchases.
- Assist customers in the store: answer questions, share product knowledge, make recommendations.
8 hours daily, 2-4 days per week. One weekend day is required.
Qualifications & Skills
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent education.
- Excellent communication skills, enjoyment of working with the public.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently with minimal supervision.
- High energy and the ability to work in an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, regularly and repeatedly lift up to 50 lbs., operate a pallet jack, climb ladders, bend, crouch, and kneel, and move quickly about a crowded store and two stockrooms.
- Good design sense and an understanding of basic merchandising principles.
- Basic computer skills.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in specialty retail, hospitality, or museums and attractions.
- Experience with Counterpoint POS or equivalent.
To apply, email cover letter and resume to MIT Museum Store Manager David Duddy at email@example.com.