Visitor Services Representative
The Visitor Experience Representative (VER) is a public facing position that requires an energetic, friendly and outgoing manner, effective communication skills, a visitor-first approach, and superior customer service. The VER welcomes all visitors to the Museum, services admissions using mobile ticketing system, provides information, monitors visitors in the museum galleries, and helps to ensure the safety and security of visitors as well as the museum.
This is a one-year term position with the possibility of renewal. Compensation: $41,600 ($20/hour) with full benefits, including generous paid leave and tuition remission.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
Visitor Experience Team:
- Participate in the daily team meetings, to include Visitor Experience, Facilities, Store, Event Rentals and Engagement staff, to review the schedule for the day (groups, classes, programs, event rentals, etc.), and to confirm assignments; close out the day with a team debrief
- Regularly communicate with and support other team members
- Learn about the museum’s collections, exhibitions, and programs, and MIT, including through formal training, to be able to provide information to visitors
- Facilitate the visitor experience in-gallery in coordination with Engagement team members
- Ticketing/Admissions and Guest Services:
- Open ticketing station and set up the day, before opening (and close out at end of day)
- Greet and welcome all visitors, including Cambridge resident and MIT Affiliate members, and build relationships with repeat visitors including members
- Answer questions about the museum and communicate visitor guidelines
- Reserve/sell general admission, program or other tickets
- Scan tickets at museum entrance
- Facilitate check-in and orientation of self-guided groups
- Assist with check-in and overview orientation of school groups
- Set up and operate AV equipment for basic usage in presentations and meetings
- Provide knowledgeable customer service and help to provide a positive visitor experience by answering questions about the museum and MIT, in person and over the phone or by email
- Ensure easy flow of visitors through the museum, especially on busy days
- Deliver a seamless, inclusive and outstanding visitor experience, helping to make the museum accessible to the widest possible audience
- On occasion, may fill in at Store sales desk (using Counterpoint system)
- Ensure gallery security when stationed as a gallery attendant, monitoring guests as they move through the gallery spaces.
- Ensure safety and security procedures and protocols in public spaces of the museum
- May assist in securing and alarming museum premises at end of day
- Other duties as needed or required
- Supervision Received:
- Reports to the Managers of the Visitor Experience, and receives daily orientation, direction and supervision.
None. May pair with temporary Visitor Services staff to help orient them to the museum, procedures and daily assignments.
Qualifications & Skills
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A high school diploma is required. College education preferred.
- Excellent computer/digital skills.
- Demonstrated skill in customer service and a minimum of 2 years of experience in a customer service role in a hospitality, retail, entertainment, or cultural organization is required.
- Must enjoy contact with the public, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and be able to project a positive image of the museum.
- Must be able to work in a busy environment and handle multiple tasks, and be able to adapt to whatever customer needs arise, and address them effectively and courteously. Should have sound judgment and be able to take initiative quickly to resolve any issues, including safety or security related.
- Schedule requires standing and moving about public areas of the museum for most of the day. Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Must be able to work weekend day(s), holidays, and occasional evenings staffing museum events.
- May deal with confidential information and/or issues requiring discretion and judgment.
- Employment is conditional upon successful completion of a background check.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Interest in or knowledge of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and technology).
- Knowledge of POS and online ticketing systems. Cash handling experience.
- Fluency in other languages in addition to English.
To apply visit the MIT Human Resources site.